Laurence Manchee - Yoga Teacher, Permaculture Consultant and co-founder of Keela Yoga Farm

Tuesday 26 August 2014

2014 Metaman 70.3 Race Report

Location: Bintan, Indonesia
Distance: 1.9km swim, 90km cycle ride, 21km run
Conditions: Right on the equator so extremely hot, luckily this event was overcast so was only 29 degrees. It even rained on the run which helped cool us down.
Top Tips: Start slower than your race pace, read the athletes guide or race instructions ASAP
My Race Summary: I was faster than expected out of the water, bang on race plan for the cycle and 8 min slower on the run due to knee pain from the start





Race preparation
We had to rack our bikes in the transition area like any other triathlon, however what was new for me was the use of transition bags and bench to get changed on, this was to keep the area around the bicycles tidy. Running gear went into a into a red plastic bag and cycle gear in blue plastic bag which could be collected on the way into the transition area. I skipped out the cycle transition bag and left my helmet and shoes on my bike which saved a small amount of time. I am proad to of had the second fastest transition in the race. (click here for the results)

1.9km Swim - 38min - 7 min faster than planned
A mass sea start into clear waters with views of coral and small fish, the first 500 meters going straight out to sea in a pack of swimmers with maximum amount of draft. I really try my best not to knock anyone but some people are not so considerate so there was a lot of people smashing into my legs which felt like someone was trying to stop me from kicking, I had a foot in my face and I felt like I was punched a few times, after the first 500 meters we turned a boye and headed for 1km along with the current, I swam this partially on my own to get a nice rhythm where I tries to glide as much as possible (practicing coach Scotts drills) and I drafted portions, after 1km we turned back towards the break, I think we we're going against the current but it was pushing us towards the shore, this part I found harder to go in a straight line. I was out of the water in 38 minutes which was blinding as I finished in 36 minutes in the 1.5km olympic distance. Looking at the garmin map, I clearly would benefit for going in more of a straight line and to be honest I felt great and could of pushed a little harder. 

90km Cycle - 2h 56min - exactly at the planned. 
I was second fasted through transition and passed a shed loads of people here which made me feel great, I had to fiddle around with my watch as I didn't manage to get it onto the right setting with just one click so one should practice that during race simulations, one should also practice with race bags if the race is with race bags. My target was to average 30kph with raw food nutrition and without the use of gels or processed sports good. Click here for my Metman nutrition post. I had planned for the first 20km to be slower due to settling in and a few hills and then catch up on the flatter part of the course and maintain an average of 30kmh for the final undulating section. The race went completely as planned. I found my entry level road bike and legs beating most of the triathlon bikes up the hills but on the long straights i was defenatly at a disadvantage. I was passed by a lot of cyclists in the first half but I caught a fair amount of people during the final hills. Bintan is a lovely place to cycle, no traffic lights, minimum cars and the loop used for the 70.3 is just nice to cycle, I recommend getting out to Bintan to cycle it anytime, you can get the 8.35am ferry from Singapore, cycle the route and be back on the 2.35 ferry (benefiting from an extra hour due to time difference), you can even give your bag to be taken to Nirwaana Gardens hotel when you get of the ferry, cycle and finish there to collect your bags and have lunch.

21km run (3 laps of 7km) - 1h 53min - 8 min slower than planed
Again my transition was super fast, if there was a podium for the transition I would at least make that, practice transitions, its an easy and quick way to improve your Triathlon time. I suffer from tight hip muslces and quads at the best of times but these muscles were super tight after the cycle and in turn caused knee pain in both knees right from the very start. I figured as it was my key race I would push through  at the planned race pace (noramlly i would advice to drop out if you have any knee pain so you don't get a serious injury which is detrimental to health and to your training plan). Running is my strongest disapline and I had planned to run the first lap at 5min per km and then speed up after that. I completed the first lap and my knees where in a world of hurt, I adjusted my pace to just over 5 min instead of just under and pushed through the pain, this got slower and slower due to the pain to the point that I just wanted to finish the run in under 2 hours. I didnt seem to be overtaken by any men who were in the 70.3 but a few ladies who were amazingly fast and the pros from the full iorn distance also went flying past. I was very glad when it was over and tucked straight into a spagati Bolognese, enjoyed a free massage and then went into the Hotel for another lunch and well deserved beer with the Triedge team who I have been training with.

Sustainability
I would like to see these events to be more sustainable. I am not sure how they can avoid the use of 1000s of plastic disposable cups for the runners. But i do think that the three thick plastic bags and race pack bag could be avoided. Perhaps the race kit bag could be used as a finisher bag, that would reduce the plastic by 500 bags.

Related Links
Metaman Race Day nutrition
Garmin recorded training

Pin It Now!