Laurence Manchee - Yoga Teacher, Permaculture Consultant and co-founder of Keela Yoga Farm

Sunday 20 July 2014

Triathlete on a Juice Detox

Triathlete on a Juice Detox
Triathlete on a Juice Detox

We should all do regular detoxes to give our body a rest from all the crap and abuse it gets from all the rubbish that is in todays foods. But, can it be done in the middle of training for an endurance event? I didn't manage to complete the detox, it would need to be done after a rest week or after the event itself. Your body is too tired during or after a training week.
With a friend's facebook group 'Juice Me up!' for support, Kimberly and I went straight in for the kill with minimal preparation and treated this as a learning experience so that we can do it properly and for longer, later in the year. This is our first juice detox but we have done many other detoxes. I will post detoxes that work during training soon.


Day Before Juice Clence
We bought all of the ingredients and made the next days breakfast. The night before I got back from a  3.3km swim with Triedge and so scoffed down my last home made protein bars, home made gluten free cookies and a Turkish Delight that one of our recent lovely visitors gave us.

Day one of a Triathlete on a Juice D-Tox
I started with Carrot, Apple and Ginger juice and then did an easy 14km run and quickly realized I am not going to be getting enough energy from my juice plan to keep up with my Triathlon training for my race next month (2km swim, 90km cycle and 21km run al over rolling hills in Bintan Indonesia). As I have not prepared for this, I drank a protein shake to keep me going. I will plan how to make home made protein powder in time for my next reboot. Hopefully I will get the recipe as good as my protein bars. Alternatively I could just prepare more juices to have for after training and increase the broccoli, spinach and other high protein vegetables. When I am not juicing I usually have 4 meals a day plus many healthy snacks inbetween (due to all the endurance training) so I probably should be doubling the usual juice menu and drinking them all day long or not do it at all. However, Kimberly has the week off and can prepare them so we are leveraging that.
By lunch time I was so hungry and remembered chia seeds in water fills you up but I don't think I can have this on the detox and also we had run out.
I had a lunch time veggie juice and then another one in the late afternoon. The juices were horrible but I managed to get them down eventually. I now have no energy and can't think or do anything, the day is becoming a wasted day and that's not very productive when I have so many commitments. Just had another protein shake but it's not cutting it. For me to finish this juice d-tox I would have to lay off the exercise and increase the rest but I can not do that as I have a triathlon, plus late night and early morning clients to deal with. I have lost all motivation to do this as unlike a normal detox it isn't making me feel good and it doesn't work with my life style. Anyway I will push through to the end of the day to at least get 24 hours in.

I didn't make it to 24 hours. I will try again after my triathlon. Kimberly and I already have three people to do it with us. It wasn't a wasted effort, we learnt a lot from this and we are inspired to juice more.

You don't need to be on a juice detox to make juice
Since the detox attempt we have been juicing more. Today I made apple and orange juice in bulk for next few days. Having heathy drinks around you should help you go for the less healthy drinks that are easily available in the shops.
You can bulk make fruit juices at any time so you have healthy drinks to take to work

Pin It Now!